Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dr Ben Carson



It was the 6th of March 2012 when year 5 to 8 from Pt England were going to the Telstra Clear Pacific Events Center to see Dr Ben Carson tell us about his life as a Neurosurgeon.

Streaming out the bus and in to the building, there were eye-catching paintings on the huge panels. I saw this really cool one, but as there was so much noise I could barely hear myself think.

My class sat on the 8th row on the stadium seats. “You sit there! Stop talking! Don’t even think of sitting next to your friends!” The teachers shouted. SLAP!! “You thought of it!!” This was increasing the noise. All of sudden, the Duffy song started. Everyone sang along except for me.

A man called Henry told us this really funny story, “...And Juju lips.” he ended. Suddenly, this other man walked up on stage and took his place. “It’s Dr Ben Carson!” Shalom shouted in my ear. I shuddered. Not because I was scared of him. It was ‘cause Shalom had shouted in my ear.

Dr Ben told us his life story of how he started out as a short-tempered boy whose nickname from other people was ‘dummy’ (Basically ‘cause he only got D’s & F’s). He also did really horrible things; like give someone 5 stitches, almost hit his mother with a hammer (fortunately his brother caught it in his hand and took it away), and nearly stabbed someone with a knife. Luckily there was a metal belt under his clothes which broke and protected him.

His behaviour made him so scared that he turned his life around and worked hard to become a neurosurgon. After he split conjoined twins - joined at the head, succsesfully, he was known as the world’s most famous brain surgeon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Iisa,

    Nice story about Doctor Ben Carson. My best part about the story was where he splitted the two joined twins.

    Keep up the good work

    From Francis

    ReplyDelete