Monday, March 17, 2014

Boer War Diary

July 16th, 1899 5:43 p.m.
Cape Town, South Africa.
Boer War


I have been suffering from trench foot and frostbite. I don’t know how much more I can endure of this war. I just wish this war would wrap up so I could go home to my family. These Boers really know how to put up a fight.


I’m sick of eating hard army biscuits, & bully beef. At least there is sugar for my tea. I don't think I could eat much more of our food supply. We can't afford to purchase food as it cost too much. 

Uh oh. My frostbite is getting more severe. O-ouch! AARGH!!! my toes and nose feel like they fell off! Darling, please take care of Darfol and Diana. Stay safe, I hope to come home soon.

My troop is doing nothing; we’re just taking lookout. Earlier some Boers found this trench, giving us a little excitement. I hate that Richard Seddon told me to come to war. I didn't want to leave my family, to come to this place to die. But that's what happened. So now I have to suffer. YAWN...I guess it’s time for me to go to sleep. It’s been a big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment