1. What does the word ‘Kendo’ mean? The way of the sword.
2. Kendo is a type of martial art. What other types of martial art do you know of? Taekwon-do, Karate, Judo, & Kung-fu.
3. Kendo training helped warriors become better swordsmen. How else did Kendo help warriors? It helped them fight for and protect the king
4. Do many people today practice Kendo? How do you know that? The book said that 7.5 million practise it, so I’ll trust the facts.
5. What is a ‘dojo’? A training area.
6. Why do you have to remove your shoes before you enter a dojo? To keep the dojo clean. It’s also a sign of respect.
7. What is a ‘gi’? The kendo jacket.
8. Is Kendo just a physical sport? How do you know? It’s also a mental sport. This is because you have to make strategies to overwhelm your opponent.
9. Why do people who fight do a ‘kiai’? What is it for/purpose? A kiai is a yell after the player strikes a player. It’s to help overwhelm the other player.
10. What is the highest beginner grade in Kendo? It is 1st kyū.
11. Would you like to try Kendo? Why? Why not? I don’t think that I would like to do Kendo, as I already do Mau Rakau and Taekwon-do.
Kendo is a sport that uses both mental and physical energy. To train, you must first go to a dojo. (You have to sign up first of course.) You must also have your Kendo jacket on.
Beginners start with a wooden sword that has 4 different parts. This is so it won’t injure the player when they get hit. As you get more experienced, you move up grades, and at one point you will have to use a wooden sword to fight.
And further up, you will reach 1st kyū. That is like a black belt.