Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Test Writing

Waitangi Day. It was the 6th of February 2014, and my family was going to take advantage of this special day. Yesterday we had packed everything ready to go, and today we were going to have a great day. We packed the car, and drove off.

I had packed plenty of books to read. After driving for a little while, I looked for my bag full of books. It turns out that I had accidentally placed my books in the back of the car, and left one book in the front. I facepalmed, before lookin over to the book. I decided to read it later.

It was a long trip. Along the way we all admired the scenery. But in the distance you could see massive storm clouds. My parents were still keen to go to on our trip to the beach. I was in doubt. With those clouds, there may even be a flood.

We soon arrived at Onehunga beach. We drove into the empty parking lot and got out. The wind was blowing fiercely. Soon we reached the beach. The tide was in, and I could only see a handful of people braving the tidal-wave like waters.

My Mum, still wanting to have a good Waitangi Day, decided that we go walking. We walked around for a while, before our stomachs started growling. Mum said that we will walk for a bit more before we stop for lunch. My sister, dad and I all groaned.

Eventually we reached New World after passing what felt like 100 restaurants. Mum decided that we walk in, buy our own supplies and make ourselves lunch. Dad waited at the exit while the Mum, Mariam and I go to get some meat and bread.

Mum finished paying and we walked over to Dad, who was by the exit. In New World, there were some small advertisements on the window by the exit, and one seemed to catch Dad’s attention. “What is it Dad?” I asked.

It turned out to be an advertisement about chickens. It said: ‘3 live chickens for free!’, along with the address and phone number. Dad was keen on getting them, and as we went to the car, Dad said that we were going to get the chickens.

I laughed. Dad was joking around. We got into the car and Mum made us some smoked chicken sandwiches. I ate the sandwich, and then read a book. I finished the book just to find out that we were in the countryside. I was in question.

Up ahead was a rusty and creaky bridge that had high water underneath. “I knew this storm was bad!” I thought before asking Mum what we were doing here. “We’re going to get some chickens!” Mum replied. “WHAT!?” I thought. “Chickens?” I thought Dad was joking. He was serious!

We crossed the creaky bridge, and drove up the driveway of the house. Dad and I got out to get the chickens. Suddenly, a teacup chihuahua came running at us! It was so cute! It followed us into the backyard, where we saw the owners.

Dad had already called them, and told them that we were going to pick them up. Dad asked the couple if he could have six. They kindly agreed. They gave us 6 of the chicks happily, and after saying thanks, we left.

The bridge was the only way to get across. The water was slowly creeping up the bridge. “Drive Dad drive!” We shouted. The bridge was long, and the rising water wasn’t slow. After a stressful 3 minutes, we made it across, and Dad quickly drove the car home.

We arrived at home to find out that the storm hadn’t hit at our house yet. So we took the chickens inside, and then put them in a medium size box. Night soon arrived. We were wondering where we should put the chickens, as several times our 2 cats tried to get the babies. We placed a blanket and mesh wire on top of the box, and happy that they were safe, we went to sleep.

Our chickens are now adult chickens living in the backyard. They scare the cats off quite easily and will sometimes peck your fingers. Another chicken has been added to the group, making it 7 chickens in total. It has always been nice to have them around, except for 5 a.m every morning when their constant sounds are heard. We had a mini party for them on Waitangi day 20 days ago. I love my chickens. Yes, it does cost more to take care of them, but they are members of the family. I love those silly chickens, and always will.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Iisa,
    I really enjoyed reading your long paragraphs about Waitangi Day, sounds like you had lots of fun, I also really enjoyed how you used various punctuation in your paragraphs.

    Keep Up The Amazing Work!!!

    ReplyDelete