What's better than 99 facts about everything? 100! It took me about a week to compile these facts together, and I would like to thank sites like Mental Floss & Buzzfeed, as most of the facts here are from there. The entire list is over 6 pages long, and I'm pretty proud of that. So no delaying, read on!
- In 1991 there was only one website. There are over 850 million websites now.
- You can buy eel flavoured ice cream in Japan.
- Jellyfish, or Jellies called by scientists, are not fish. They have no brain, no heart, and no bones.
- Because the speed of Earth’s rotation keeps changing, a day for the dinosaurs was 23 hours long.
- There are more than 1,200 water parks in North America.
- To cook an egg, the sidewalk has to be 70°C.
- It would take 100 Earths, lined up next to each other to stretch across the face of the sun.
- Less than 1% of Antarctica is ice-free.
- You lose about 50 - 100 hairs a day.
- At any moment, clouds are about 60% of Earth.
- Your hair contains traces of gold.
- Opal has been found on Mars
- Mars’ population consists entirely of robots.
- The finest quality emeralds can be more expensive than diamonds.
- If you killed a cat in Ancient Egypt, the penalty would be death.
- You will never be able to see all the beautiful colours of the rainbow.
- Human babies can not taste salt until they are 4 months old.
- There is a device that can put out fires with sound.
- If Earth were the size of a grain of sand, the sun would be an orange.
- Flying the U.S flag upside down signals extreme distress.
- A single cornflake shaped like a U.S state sold at an online auction for $1,350.
- Uranus has only 2 seasons - Summer & Winter. Each lasts 42 years.
- An 11 year old girl is credited with naming Pluto in 1930.
- Friggatriskaidekaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th.
- All scandinavian countries have a cross on their flags.
- Venus spins backwards on it’s axis.
- It would take a snail about 4,575 years to circle earth.
- Cherophobia is the fear of fun.
- Diet Coke was invented in 1982.
- 29th of May is officially put a pillow on your fridge day.
- It cost 7 million dollars to make the Titanic, and 200 million to make the movie.
- Pirates of Captain Bart Roberts ship had a bedtime. It was at 8:00.
- TASER is an acronym for Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle.
- Albert Einstein never learned how to drive.
- The dots on dice and dominoes are called pips.
- Type in ‘Do a barrel roll in the Google search bar, and the entire page will rotate 360°.
- Walt Disney's famous "logo" signature wasn't really his. It was designed by a staff artist.
- Gadsby is a 1939 novel by Ernest Vincent Wright with over 50,000 words, and not a single word contains the letter "E."
- Horses can’t vomit.
- The "@" sign was very close to being eliminated from the standard keyboard until 1971, when Ray Tomlinson wrote it into the code used to send the first email.
- New Mexico State’s first graduating class in 1893 had only one student— and he was shot and killed before graduation.
- Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
- Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.
- 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, & Mulan are the only Disney movie where both parents are present and don’t die.
- Apples belong to the rose family, along with pears and plums.
- Humans are born craving sugar.
- Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth.
- An 11 year old invented the popsicle in 1905.
- Eggs sold in the U.S would be illegal in the U.K.
- Cup noodles are mostly empty inside.
- There is only 1 McDonalds in the world with turquoise arches.
- Double Stuf Oreos don’t have double the stuff.
- Grocery stores mislabel fish 18% of the time in the U.S.
- Youtube started out as a dating site.
- According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favoured day for self obliteration.
- You are more likely to have a heart attack on a Monday than any other day.
- In 1990, Bart Simpson was the most influential person of the year.
- Every year about 98% of the atoms in your body are replaced.
- When snakes are born with two heads, they fight each other for food.
- Stressed is Desserts spelt backwards.
- The first non-human to win an Oscar was Mickey Mouse.
- The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.
- -40°C is the same as -40°F.
- The first video game was Tennis For Two, and was made in 1958.
- April 11th, 1954 is considered the most boring day of the 20th century, because nothing happened.
- If the Titanic tried to face the iceberg head on, it might have survived.
- It is estimated that for every 18 children, there is one landmine.
- Cookie Monsters real name is Sid.
- The Alphabet Song, Twinkle Twinkle little star and Baa Baa Black sheep have the same tune.
- As of 2010, Bill Gates donated well over half of his 61 billion fortune to charities.
- If the sun were the size of a white blood cell, the milky way would be the size of the North American Continent.
- It snows metal on Venus.
- It rains diamonds on Jupiter & Saturn.
- Greg Heffley is 1 month older than his actor, Zach Gordon.
- 75% of the world’s tornadoes happen in the U.S.
- The word run has 645 different meanings in the english langauge.
- The act of snapping one’s fingers is called a fillip.
- A paradiddle is a drumroll.
- Visit a waterfall at dusk and you may see moonbows - nighttime rainbows.
- The first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer, and was bought at the price of $14.83.
- The first video on YouTube featured Jawed Karmin discussing elephants at the San Diego Zoo.
- Giraffes have the highest blood pressure of any mammal.
- The melting temperature of bubble gum is 51°C.
- When you lick a stamp, you’re consuming 1/10th of a calorie.
- The word “unfriend” appeared on paper back in 1659.
- Pentheraphobia is the persistent fear of your mother-in-law.
- The human bone most often broken is the collar bone.
- G-rated family films earn more money than any other rated films. Only 4% of Hollywood's movies are G-rated.
- Finding Nemo is the best-selling DVD of all time. It has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide.
- In the early drafts of Back To The Future, Doc Brown had a pet chimpanzee.
- Despite his many name changes, musician Prince did have a real first name once. It was Prince.
- In 1938, Hitler was Time Magazine’s person of the year.
- Blue toothbrushes are more prefered then red ones.
- A group of Jellyfish is called a smack.
- You can’t see as much colours as a chicken.
- Hummingbirds wings can beat up to 200 times a second.
- There are approximately 7,184 people that look similar to you.
- Scientists say the best time to take a nap is between 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. because that’s when a dip in temperature makes us feel sleepy.
- It is possible to time travel.
- If you ever feel sad, remember this.
Zoom out a bit. This is the Solar System.
A bit further. This is the Milky Way.
If we zoom out more, we find the Local Galactic group.
Zoom out more... This is the Virgo Supercluster.
And even further out is the Local Supercluster.
So if you're ever feeling small, you most definitely are. But don't worry, there are quindecillion of atoms and electrons buzzing around that are smaller than you.
Now lets zoom out further. This is the know universe.
Now lets zoom out further. This is the know universe.
And we only take up a very small piece of it.