Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter to Gustav

This week during Literacy, we watched a show called Tagata Pasifika. After that, we had to write a letter to one of the 4 recipients that we learnt about. 

I chose Gustav Guttenbiel who was a Tongan-German. He wanted to fight for the British Empire in WW2 but they wouldn't let him only because he was German. He left his wife and children in Tonga when he was sent to be interned at Somes Island, a small island in the Wellington Harbour. Here is the video from Tagata Pasifika about his letter:

If he was still alive, then he may have received this.

Iisa Mikasho
103 Pt England Rd
1072
13/5/15
Kia Ora Gustav,
I am writing this letter to you. I want to share my thoughts and feelings about the letter that you wrote to the NZ Government.

I have heard your story, and I too agree that sending you to be interned was a great mistake. I think that it was unfair that you had to work hard and train till the day before the boat arrived. They should have let you go at the beginning of the training, if they were going to send you to be interned.

I am very, deeply sorry that they have taken you away from your family and home when all you wanted to do was help defend the British Empire. I want to thank you for volunteering to fight in the war, even though you can’t. Thank you for volunteering. If it weren’t for people like you, your home and my home wouldn’t be as it is now. It would be worse. I hope that you will remember that you are a great man.

Yours sincerely,
Iisa Mikasho

1 comment:

  1. What a well written letter you have crafted Iisa. I like the way you have commented on Gustave's actions and affirmed him. I also appreciate your ability to correctly structure a letter.

    Mrs Burt

    ReplyDelete